Explore > Mother Shipton’s Cave
Mother Shipton was a renowned prophetess who lived in Knaresborough during the reign of Henry VIII and Elizabeth I. The cave is where she is said to have been born, and is set in the remains of the Royal Forest of Knaresborough. Close by is the phenomenon of the Petrifying Well, a natural spring with a high mineral content that really does turn everyday objects into stone. There is a collection of items donated by famous figures to demonstrate the process. There is also a woodland trail with great views of Knaresborough and the river Nidd, and adventure play areas for children.
- 1 Summary of all buses on the 1 between Harrogate & Knaresborough
- 1A Harrogate, Knaresborough, St James Retail Park & Aspin
- 1B Harrogate - Knaresborough & Eastfield
- 1C Harrogate - Knaresborough & Carmires
- Prophecy Lodge, High Bridge, Knaresborough, HG5 8DD
- 01423 864600